Nominations for the 2012 IFishWrite Big Splash Award for Excellence in Angling Journalism
Providing knowledge is part of the value, but bringing it to you in an entertaining, inspiring manner feeds the dream. We’re constantly looking for angling sites that provide a number of criteria in a highly interesting manner. If you know of such a site we may have not yet seen or analyzed please share it by contacting us here.
Let’s Make A Splash!
And for that reason I have selected the following sites as the most outstanding angling urls thus far in my personal experience. (I have friends who will hate me–but I have a policy in place as well.) These site recommendations are nominees at this point, not winners. I’ll post more as I come across them and find them worthy of attention. I have a selected review board of anglers who have agreed to participate as Judges in this first annual IFishWrite BIG SPLASH Award for Online Excellence in Angling Journalism.
I’m awarding four categories for this annual recognition:
Best of Content
Best of Photography
Please participate with me by posting your recommendations in the comment section. We’ll consider and weigh every site suggested–please no spam–we’ll reject that and I’ll report you! I’m asking for legitimate site recommendations that have to do with FISHING.
I’ll post the winners of 2012 competition on or about January 1st of 2013. I have a select Board of Judges whom I’ll name at that time with links to their sites. (No they are not allowed to recommend themselves, nor am I. Read the Policy here.) Our idea is to link you to what’s really good and who does it, so that we can all improve our sites.
Here’s my list of contenders so far:
Bass Angling Archives (Content) Angling writers Terry Battisti and Pete Robbins combine their skills to bring their readers the best in bass angling history.
Tosh Brown (Photography)Texas-based Tosh Brown is a full time outdoor photographer and writer whose willingness to share technique and lore makes him exceptional.
Deneki Outdoors (Outfitters) Operators of quality fly fishing lodges in the Bahamas, British Columbia, and Alaska, these bloggers provide food of vision to inspire fishers of adventure.
Catch Magazine (All Around)
Our selection is based on a review of these qualifying characteristics. Does their site encourage, promote or have:
1) Original Content with rich purpose, crafted use of the language and a gift for insight
2) Captures and enhances the world of fishing for everyone
3) Inspires young and old alike to take up a rod of any sort and get on the water
4) Encourages anglers the world over of all ages to respect the water and all fish species. to good ethics and principles of healthy conservation including harvest where appropriate
5) Promotes ethical relationships to the industry as well as principles of healthy conservation including harvest where appropriate
6) Educates on issues important to local, national and world fisheries management
7) Provide innovative, creative presentation of content including uniqueness of style in photographs and video
8) Teaches technique in presentation including the reasons why some products produce better results.
9) Provides links and promote other sites as well as their own
10) Uses Social Media effectively to enhance angling awareness
11) Promotes or provides stories and facts about the history of angling
12) Promotes safety through awareness
13) Carries relevance to today’s angling challenges
14) Demonstrates excellence in media presentation
Answers to the above questions are rated from one to ten. If you would like to suggest a qualifying question or become one of our deciding Board of Advisors, please contact us here. If you would like to suggest a website for consideration of the 2013 IFishWrite Award of Excellence in Angling Journalism, please contact us here.
All recommendations are reviewed for consideration by our select Board of Advisors. Nominations for next year’s awards will close at midnight Pacific Standard Time, December 15, 2012.
~Dwayne Parsons on Twitter @IFishWrite